Monday 2 August 2010

More Journals .....

I've taken a few more days off work in honour of recovering from Shingles and to try and get a bit of a rest and  have some 'me' time.  I'm still isolated from my family but hopefully I will be able to go and see new baby Charlotte on Friday.  
This morning I had a very nice trip out to the nearest town westwards, Petworth, to visit the Haberdashery Shop for some heavy duty interfacing for future Journals.  I then spent the afternoon at the ironing board and the sewing machine ...
The first Remains of the Day Journal has now been completed and really is ready for writing in now  ...
I decided not to make a fabric tie because of the lace, so I've used a good old-fashioned press stud.  In the haberdashery shop I found this beaded braid (actually it's a stiff net) which looks much better in real life; and then I simply tied knots in the tails of the thread that the signatures were sewn in with. Sorry about the blurry photo ...
I am still liking this very much and the first page that I write on - somewhere in the Journal (I read that it's generally a good idea not to write on the very first page first) - is going to be about this phrase that I read in a book yesterday - "As doors close behind you, turn around and look at what lies ahead" - I'm a  big fan of doors and windows.
Anyways, this Journal making bug has really bitten and I made two more covers this afternoon ...
The Jacobean flower pattern fabric is stunning and the inside cover equally so - and for this one I did cut into a pack of Blue fat quarters which weren't bought today but which I've had for quite a while - so still keeping to the theme of not buying anything ...
Then I made this one ....
I say 'made' - all the pieces are just laying on the base fabric - a heavy cream calico - and it's still on the ironing board.  It started as seeing how to make a type of crazy patchwork cover, which I've never done before.  Then when I'd finished I thought how on earth am I going to get it from said ironing board to sewing machine - lol.  Tomorrow morning will see the pins come out and we'll take it from there - will let you know how it turns out ...
Saying that I haven't bought anything for these Journals, I coudn't resist today.  I saw this roll of fabric - each strip is a metre long and about three inches wide - loved it and very reasonable at £4.99 - so I bought it - lol  ....
So, tomorrow will see pinning, sewing, ferreting around in the cupboard under the stairs for a carrier bag with old envelopes in and making pages - might even set the alarm - lol.


No comments: