Saturday 26 May 2012

Saturday Afternoon In The Sun ....

Just love this gorgeous weather and this afternoon I put all the rubbish stuff that's going on out of my mind and disappeared down to the bottom of the garden - not far - but far enough 'cos if I position the chair just  so, I can't see the house (well the lower part anyway) .....
I sat here for a while and decided against painting the shed - today at least - lol.  I like my shed - it's green and very, very weather worn and is in dire need of re-painting, plus the roof needs re-felting, but it blends in so well with the garden .....
Anyways - there I'm sat - looking at this - the bottom of the garden.  In the foreground is Euphorbia.  I bought a very small clump of this back from my Mum's garden ages ago - and now it's everywhere - but very pretty all the same.  It's past it's best now but it's one of the first things out in the Spring - acid yellowy/green flowers which are now at a dull yellow/burnt orange stage ....
And every now and then I got up to do some weeding.  I generally start at the top of the garden - because it's nearer the house I suppose - and don't usually get right the way down to the end but today I started at the bottom - 'cos the top doesn't look too bad.  I had a great time alternating between sitting in the sunny shade - ???? lol - and on my hands and knees pulling out weeds.  I did a fair bit - about two yards and 'fluffed up' the bark chippings, until I got to these - 
A lovely clump of Alchemillia Mollis and London Pride (don't know the Latin for that one - lol).  These are really old fashioned cottage garden plants and go from strength to strength year on year - and to think they started out from little pots ....
On a disappointing note - what has happened to Poppy ....
This is a clump of good old fashioned English Poppies.  Every year, the clump comes up big and strong and bloom in May - great big blousey bright red flowers that are absolutely stunning.  Every year, two days after the flowers come out it rains buckets - dashing the whole lot to the ground.  This year - the whole clump has gone like this.  The leaves are all brown and crisp and I can't see any sign of disease or insects.  Now I'm not sure whether to cut if all away or just leave it to die right back.  I do hope it comes back next year.
Right - off to see if I've got some white spirit - yet another random task - lol - but I might venture back outside in a bit ....

No comments: