Friday 24 September 2010

How Old Fashioned Is This ....

It's been a while but I haven't been totally idle on the crafting front. I'm still knitting but for the last few weeks in what little free time I've had, I've been doing some crochet and made loads and loads of Granny Squares - thinking that an old fashioned coverlet would like nice on the bed in the spare room (when I get round to buying one and finish decorating said room - lol). Here's what my coverlet looks like so far ....
Mind you, plans for my new bed (as I say, when I get round to buying one) might be scuppered.  My darling daughter arrives and says - "Ooooh I like that - it's just like the poorly blanket we had when we were little.  Can I have it when it's finished" (nothing if not direct, my daughter - lol).
To give you an idea of what she was talking about - here is said 'poorly blanket' retrieved from the airing cupboard (bad photo - sorry) ....
This is about 28 years old.  I made it when I was pregnant with number one son.  They called it the 'poorly blanket' because when they were ill they used to snuggle up in it and get lots of TLC.  I'm quite disappointed because I was going to give my daughter this one as a surprise (a bit like a family heirloom) but over the years holes have appeared and the stitches have unravelled - so no family heirloom after all  ...
Moving on - a couple of weeks ago, I went to the IKnit Weekender event at the Royal Horticultural Halls in Victoria, London and saw this outside ....
This is 'Yarn Bombing'.  I'd read about this - avid knitters 'bomb' telephone boxes, street signs, lamp posts and even buildings in the capital with knitting.  The trees outside the venue had all been 'bombed' with quite spectacular results.
The event was great - loads of beautiful knitting and stuff to buy - but I was very restrained.  I got some beautifully soft cashmere silk and baby camel yarn from Knitwitches in a stunning burnt orange colour (it's called Seriously Gorgeous and it certainly is that) with some ambery/bronzy (spelling? - lol) beads to make a beaded lace wrap.  I also bought some Merino Wool Tops and a book on wet felting .  So these will be  my two projects for the winter.
Anyways - I'm on holiday at the minute - off until 11th October - so my Blogging record should improve ....
Off to do some stamping now ....

1 comment:

papel1 said...

Glad to see your writing Sue...love the knitting and all.
Judy