Sunday 26 June 2011

Big Knitting - Little Knitting ...

Almost the whole weekend - so far - has been spent with either knitting needles or a crochet hook in hand (to say nothing of catching up with three Omnibus editions of EastEnders - just love it - and munching my way through a box of old fashioned tea cakes - yummy).
Anyways - starting with the little knitting.  First up is a crocheted string bag.  It was a quick make and only used about a third of a 100g ball of yarn.  I made this quite a while ago but thought I would darn the ends in.  It's amazing how stretchy it is and what you can get in there ....
Then a scarf.  This is made from a DK Ladder Yarn which was a bit slippy and slidey to knit with but once you got into the swing of it was OK.  I bought this in Worthing and found two yarn shops within five minutes.  In the first shop was a basket full of the most beautiful scarves, snoods and stoles all knitted in this yarn.  Lovely daughter made me buy three balls of this - 'they will make nice Chrissy presents Mummy' - and for who, I ask - probably half of her friends.  
Yesterday, I put the fringing on - which was a bit of a nightmare - but I got there.  The jewel tones of the yarn are absolutely stunning and I've got two more to go ....
Now for some medium size knitting.  I posted this Granny Square throw ages ago but since then it's got bigger and bigger - it now fits very nicely over a double bed.  Doing the squares was a nice way to relax for an hour or so when I got home after a late meeting. That said, there were an awful lot of late meetings and a carrier bag of squares got done....
In fact I've still got loads left - enough to make a small blanket for my Mum to put over her feet.   I spent quite a lot of yesterday crocheting a multi-colour border around the edge - just look at those ends to be darned in - but not today - lol. 
And now for some really Big Knitting ...
In the last post I said that a big parcel had been delivered.  It was from Ingrid Wagner and here's what was in it ....
The needles are 20mm and 60cm long.  The yarn is the selvedge edge of various cloths which has been recycled.  You can see all about it here.  
I have to say this took a bit of getting used to - let alone the size of the needles, where to where to sit was a bit of a problem.  I couldn't sit in my armchair 'cos the arms got in the way and ended up sitting in the middle of the settee.  Here we are half way through the Big Knitting Summer Sofa Throw ...
Here's a close up of the stitches ....
I have to say, I'm very taken with this - it knits up very quickly, it looks impressive, it's different and is relatively inexpensive, once you have the needles.  The throw is getting heavy now and methinks I will have to finish it sitting on the floor leaning against the settee - to get leverage on those broomstick needles and take the weight.  Sitting on the floor isn't a problem - it's the getting up - lol.
Then another parcel from Ingrid arrived - three balls, the size of footballs, of eight strands of wool wound together.  This is for knitting a rug using all three balls at the same time - so 24 strands on those huge needles - but more of that another time ...
Off to cut the grass now ...

No comments: