Friday 30 November 2012

And Now November Has Gone ...

but at least this time there is a reason .... November has been a sad month for me but in between the sadness I've done one or two bits and pieces.  First off I've made a Christmas Cake - something I've never done before.  When the kids were small I used to cook and bake all the time - but never made a proper Christmas Cake.  So with my new toy for the kitchen, I set too.
So, following Delia (well, sort of lol), here's all the fruit soaking in brandy (and soak it did for 24 hours lol) ...
Not being a fan of brandy at all, the smell was quite disgusting - but onwards and upwards.  Here's the final mixture before going into a cake tin ....
Then in it went into the oven and ended up like this ....
Following Delia, after it had cooled, it was wrapped in a double layer of foil and put in an airtight box and left on top of the toaster.  After a week, I decided to 'feed' it.  Oh my word - when I unwrapped the foil the smell was absolutely divine.  So much so, that I simply couldn't help myself and sliced a bit off the edge (I'm not going to be too clever with the icing - wouldn't know how to be anyway - lol).  Even though I say so myself, my little sliver tasted delicious - and I resisted slicing off another piece.  That said, it will be feeding time again on Sunday - so my masterpiece might lose a little bit more - lol.
During the month, I've also done a bit of sewing and made The Gorgeous One aka Finley William; and The Beautiful One aka Charlotte Kaylet an Advent Calendar each.  They're made from pre-printed panels, which I bought from an extremely efficient on-line retailer Lady Sew and Sew in Henley on Thames.  This morning I spent a jolly half hour filling the pockets - making sure that each one has exactly the same in.  Can't have any arguing, can we? - lol.
This one's for The Gorgeous One ....
And this one's for The Beautiful One ...
So -  it's going to be a busy weekend - Today - it's The Gorgeous One's School Assembly this afternoon and Christmas Fair this evening.  It's The Beautiful One's PreSchool Nativity tomorrow morning (oh and I might have to take The Gorgeous One to football - but not if I can help it - lol).  Then there's a marathon baby sitting session from Sunday afternoon onwards, when I'll be staying the night at their house as No. 1 daughter and hubbie are off to see Michael McIntyre at the 02.  I've decided that the kids and I are going to make a camp to sleep in - should be fun.
In between all that No. 1 daughter wants seven Pressie Bags for the kids teachers - 'Just like you made for the wedding, Mummy, but Christmassy'.  Should have given her a couple of quid to buy some - lol.  Plus I want to make a Christmas Pudding in my new Lakeland Pudding Steamer (thanks to my sous chef in the West Midlands hub for her input on that one - and for introducing me to the 'Church of Lakeland' - fabulous - lol).  Oh yes and some mini Christmas Cakes in Dariole Moulds.  
So I had better put a wiggle on hadn't I - lol ......

No comments: