Wednesday 31 October 2012

Time Flies .....

and will someone please tell me where September and October went? ..... So much has been going on - some too sad to tell and the rest just real life stuff taking its toll but when I saw that the last post was 22nd August I was gob-smacked - but onwards and upwards and moving on and all that .... I've taken this week off work in a bid to 'regroup' - and attention to the Blog is on the list .....
Not a lot has been going on the crafting front - well to be perfectly honest - nothing, zero,  zilch - not even a knitting needle has come into my hands.  Craft shopping was almost non-existent too - yes really - lol .....
That said, I made a purchase a week or so ago from that well known shopping channel - which was this .....
I'm ashamed to say that this was obscenely expensive but oh my word when I finally plucked up the courage to use it (it's one of those machines that you get that 'Oh my God' feeling about - lol) it's worth every penny. Years ago, when the kids were young, I used to do loads of cooking and baking but haven't done any for years - but it's something I have always enjoyed doing.  I kept seeing the machine and in the end I thought  why not ..... I just love the way it looks (and the fact you can lean on it - lol).
I've only made one thing so far .....
Bad piccie I know - but these are herb rolls.  A soda bread recipe with spring onions and real fresh basil and parsley.   
Now I've seen these on the cookery TV programmes and that shopping channel and of course everything is already prepared, weighed out and in lovely little dishes.  Real life isn't like that - although I was thinking (when I realised I didn't have any milk and had to break off mid-preparation to dash up to the village shop) that perhaps that is the way forward - lol).  
Add to that I have a new electronic scale which took a bit of getting used to (at one point I wished I'd kept the old totally totally inaccurate and useless scales I had - lol).  
The herb rolls - which are totally scrummy - went into the oven and I was so excited I was sitting on the floor in front of the oven watching them cook - lol.  the kitchen looked like a war zone (but it smelt absolutely gorgeous) - but never say never - I've just got to get back into the 'routine' of baking.   
The next bake will be a pavlova (why not - lol) and a carrot cake (complete with frosting).  Then tomorrow night I'm going to soak all the fruits etc in brandy (that was a shock - £11.25 for a half bottle - and I only initially need 3 tbsps - plus I hate the stuff - lol) for a Christmas Cake - to be baked on Friday.
No 1 daughter came to visit yesterday and was dead jealous - pointing out to me that living alone it was rather an extreme purchase for me and that it would be much better in her kitchen - lol.  After half term we're going to arrange a 'girlie baking day' which will be fun ....
Right must dash - off to make Advent Calendars for the little people.  
And the lunch menu - home made tomato soup and herb rolls .....

2 comments:

papel1 said...

Glad to see to see you post Sue. Hope things are going a little smoother for you and family. I know it is hard to believe it is November. But it is boutique time and there are 2 today with handcrafted items for sale. Maybe it will inspire me to do some crafting. I love your mixer. I just have a hand one.
Judy

Anonymous said...

How can I spread my Youtube Video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MeNU1CEhlY

I want to spread this video as much as possible.
I've put tags, a title, and all i could think of. What now?
I want many views on one video.