Wednesday 22 August 2012

Something Different ....

My last surviving aunt is 80 years old in a couple of week's time.  Her sons have arranged a buffet lunch party for her and although she said that she didn't want any presents, I've been making a scrapbook for her, 'cos she has always been very special to me.
I'm also known as the 'photo thief' of the family (I like to think of myself more as an archivist - lol) so last weekend I spent some time scanning and printing some old family photos - together with print offs from Google Earth of the places she has lived in over the years, extracts from old phone books and stuff like that.
I've had this 10" x 8" scrapbook in the bottom of my wardrobe for years (at least ten - lol) which I thought   was ideal ...
I made a front page using stuff that I had - nothing new (well the bird on the branch die is a fairly new purchase but was bought for something else - lol) ....
I won't bore you all with yards and yards of photos but these are a couple of favourite pages.  These are my paternal grandparents (my aunt was married to Dad's brother - both have been gone for a long time now) on their wedding day in 1923 (I have the original photo in my 'archive' - lol) ....
And this is one of two pages with me as a baby as the star feature - the top left photo is me and my parents, then me and my grandparents and then a group photo.  The other side is of my two aunts with their respective spouses with me.  I suppose I was a bit of a novelty seeing as I was the first girl grand-daughter/niece - lol ....
The lady standing next to my Mum who is holding me - is my maternal grandmother - another very special lady ....
I'm going to finish the album off with photos of my children and my grandchildren - my aunts great nephew and niece and her great great nephew and niece.  Don't you just love Family History ....
I have set this post as a Scheduled one - wonder if I've dome it right - lol - we will see ....

2 comments:

Rosie said...

What an amazing gift, and a real labour of love ....

Unknown said...

That's a lovely idea!

http://polkadotspincushionsblog.blogspot.co.uk/